Learn to Love Public Speaking workshop, Amsterdam 2022 PHOTO: Robin Straaijer
About Ryan Millar
Creative Coaching, Training and Consulting
Ryan Millar is a Canadian-born Amsterdam-based coach, story trainer and communications consultant. In his work, he leans heavily on the tools he gained as an improviser and actor, supplemented by his years in corporate communications and content creation, to help people be more authentic and more effective in their professional and personal lives. His skills as a Public Speaking Coach have earned him a spot on the Coach Foundation, one of the biggest names in the coaching industry.
He recently created and hosts the Digital Communication Certificate Course for Growth Tribe. His most recent book, on the art of public speaking, is called “The Confident Presenter” and just came out (www.confidentpresenter.co). Ryan also enjoys freestyle rapping, skateboarding gently, and taking his kids for ice cream.
He’s designed interactive educational programs on storytelling, public speaking and leadership for a wide variety of clients, including ING, Google, Shell, Cofra, Apollo Tyres, Signify, Deutsche Bank, and many others. He also occasionally helps individuals and companies with their written communications.
Prior to focusing on his work as a speaker, author and coach, Ryan’s circuitous journey saw him work as an interpreter at the Vancouver Aquarium and the Vancouver Art Gallery, spending a year and a half as a tour guide in Rome (which inspired his first solo storytelling show Roman Around), as well as being a scare actor, a camp counselor and a touring improviser.
All about writing
Ryan’s written two books. His first, TAKE IT EASY, is a guide to the craft of improvisational theater, for Improvisers from around the globe. He successfully crowdfunded this project in 2017. His second book, The Confident Presenter, outlines his philosophy and a framework for anyone looking to become a better public speaker. It was published in 2023.
- Publishing The Confident Presenter, a handbook for improving public speaking skills, Spring 2023
- Creating and hosting the Digital Communications Certificate Course with Growth Tribe, Spring 2023
- Performing with Trent Pancy as Milly Can Rap, an improvised hip-hop freestyle comedy duo
- Writing his first book TAKE IT EASY: And More Tips for the Dedicated Improviser
- His first solo storytelling comedy show – Roman Around – had successful consecutive runs at the Edinburgh Fringe in 2010 and 2011
- Producing and directing The Two Gentlemen of Lebowski with Orange Tea Theatre, 2015
- Doing a script-in-hand production of his solo theatre piece The Shipwreck of Oscar Mendler, a tragicomedy about hubris and sailing
- Creating and performing solo storytelling comedy show Ever Better at Mezrab, October 2018
- Winning an award for his first play The Power Force, 2010
Born and raised in Canada, Ryan has lived in many different cities (Vancouver, Rome, Brussels, and London – with a brief stint in Hawaii along the way). He’s now settled in the Netherlands for the foreseeable future. He graduated from high school in a small town called Summerland BC (an actual place) and received a BA in Communications from Simon Fraser University in Vancouver.
Along the way he also received an Acting Certificate from Gastown Actor’s Studio. It’s here where he first started improvising. In the nearly 20 years since he’s worked, taught and performed all around Europe and North America.
He holds an MA in Professional Writing from London Metropolitan University, a BA in Communications and a Certificate in Sustainable Community Development from Simon Fraser, a Certificate in The Future of Storytelling from University of Potsdam, and a Certificate in Acting for Stage and Screen from Gastown Actor’s Studio.
Sure, he’s busy, but not too busy to talk to you.
Contact me for more information